An electroencephalogram (EEG) is a test that measures and records the electrical activity of your brain. Special sensors (electrodes) are attached to your head and hooked by wires to a computer. The computer records your brain’s electrical activity on the screen or on a paper as wavy lines. Certain conditions, such as seizures, can be seen by the changes in the normal pattern of the brain’s electrical activity. Duration of test is 45 minutes to an hour.
It will help us to get an accurate EEG test result if you follow a few instructions before coming in for your EEG test.
- Try to get NO MORE than six (6) hours of sleep the night before your EEG test. It will help if you are sleep deprived.
- You may have a small meal. Before your test, no caffeine. (coffee, tea, coke) No natural stimulants like orange juice.
- Take your medications as prescribed but no sedation medications are allowed before the test like Valium or Ativan.
- We will be working with your head so come with clean hair, no sprays, gels, or oils in the hair.
- You will need to shampoo afterwards. Hats are suggested.